Monday, November 17, 2008

2. Playground Chants

Offending Parties: A Nightmare On Elm Street, Candyman, Buffy the Vampire Slayer: "Hush"

I remember recess. I remember liking it. But I don't remember ever overhearing the girls reciting one of their jump rope rhymes and thinking, "Holy shit, that's scary." So where did this playground chant phenomenon come from? I assume it had some basis in the old "Bloody Mary" legend, wherein participants reciting the titular name 100 times before a mirror in the dark would meet a gruesome end at the hands of Bloody Mary herself. However, that old slumber party chestnut went out with "light as a feather, stiff as a board" as soon as its participants realized that they could have an even better time by simply raiding the liquor cabinet and sneaking in boys. Alas, Wes Craven found it necessary to add a sinister connotation to what was once a harmless childhood pastime. Thanks a lot, buddy.

1 comment:

Ray said...

Oh, it's 100 times? We were told we only had to say "Bloody Mary" three times to summon her. I guess that's why my fool ass never got sucked into the netherworld.